Originally constructed in 1897 as a power-generating station for the production of asbestos products, the 48,000gsf Ambler Boiler House project illustrates design success in transit oriented adaptive reuse, brownfield redevelopment, and creative project financing. Innovative green strategies include induction-electric vehicle charging stations, ground source heat pumps, rain water harvesting, a comprehensive daylighting system and natural ventilation measures such as earth tubes coupled with a solar thermal chimney to achieve LEED Platinum certification.
With close proximity to the R-5 SEPTA rail station, existing roadways and available utility services, the project is a responsible approach to commercial development, encouraging public transportation, and utilizing infill development principles to merge the site into the existing downtown density.
Architect: Heckendorn Shiles Architects
Sustainability Consultant: Re:Vision Architecture
Commissioning Agent: Bala Consulting Engineers
2013 Montgomery Award, Montgomery County Planning & Design
2013 Adaptive Reuse Gold Award, 10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania Commonwealth Design Awards